Wednesday, November 19, 2008

and while you're at it, bring a doughnut, too

It's true. There's no hiding it. The pastorate, as a profession, continues to be an Old Boys Club. (And, one could further argue a particular age, marital status, and family system.) I knew what I was getting into. I saw what I was up against. There are plenty of folks to counteract the OBC mentality, but it is not uncommon to attend a gathering and feel strangely out of place. They are often stuck in their conversations about how bad their sermon was and how much time they should have spent preparing. At a recent conference I found myself swimming again in a sea of salt-and-pepper hair, khaki slacks, and penny loafers. The conversation was intended to be about churches are growing. I thought, "maybe these guys are different..." But as I chatted with folks about my work as an Associate Pastor, I was saddened. Several of them sang the refrain, "Well, I could use an Associate." In the same way that you might say, "well, I could use a maid." Or, "That tie would go really well with my suit." This really frustrates me. As if I don't do the same amount of work that they do. As if I don't have the same qualifications. As if I am just a ruffle on their dress. Though they will protest and make penitent gestures, I sincerely doubt that they actually believe I (or other Associates) are their equals. I doubt that many of them would give up their "senior" title. I doubt that many of them would lower their salary to their associate's. I doubt that many of them could stop using "I" language in favor of "we" language.

Why do we buy into this hierarchical model? It isn't biblical. I wish that we could drop descriptors in front of "pastor" or use only "co-pastor" language. A verbal change is often needed to move into new space. There is no reason to have titles that maintain broken understandings of self and power. All are one. Sainthood of all believers. Keys to the kingdom. Come on, folks, we can do better!

2 comments:

SarahConnorBurns said...

Oh yes. I received an email from the school to all professors, asking them to bring a dish for Thanksgiving for the International Students. It was phrased, however, for the professors to "ask their wives to cook something." You know, because they're at home all day. It was supposed to come off cutesy, but it didn't.

Karen Fleming said...

Whoo hoo!!! As I still wait around for a call and sometimes am talking to folks about how me having the triple curse (young, single, & female) makes things more challenging...I get more and more looks/comments of disbelief. Even my Dad acted shocked that the church clearly still favors the white, family-type, male. Argh!