Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To love or not to love: THAT is the question

... whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer...

I am wondering if it is possible to un-love someone. It seems that if you truly love someone/thing/people it would be impossible to un-love them. Of course, love changes over time. The love felt for someone may blossom into compassion or concern, but I don't think that it is possible to scoop out the love you once had and throw it away.

Considering this from the famous 1 Corin 13 text that states, "Love never ends... [prophecies] will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end..." Paul seems to move to a place that true love (from God) is the one eternal piece we have in the world. This gives me hope; however, I wonder how many people ever experience such true Godly love in their lives. Not many, I'm afraid. Most, if not all, of our relationships are filled with limited love. I realize the disparity between God’s love and our “fast-food-get-it-how-you-like-it” love on earth. It fills us up temporarily, but leaves us longing for more. We are used to being loved poorly, loved conditionally, loved incompletely. We are used to love as a competitive sport and unrequited love. We are used to being rejected when we’ve gained too much weight, or sent away when we’re in a bad mood, or manipulated when we aren’t doing as another hoped.

But even in our limited ways, I think that our hearts cling to fragments of love and try to carry them through trials, troubles, and terrors. The most atrocious historical figures had people who loved them. Is this good news? How do you negotiate relationships that change and move away from love? Does that undermine the love you had? Was it ever truly love?

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I actually believe that most people actually DO experience "true" Divine love in their lives, or at least we all KNOW it (maybe not by experience, but by divine presence). I believe that sometimes we see glimpses or we tap into it briefly, then perhaps we become covered and soiled again and retreat. I believe that we all possess true Divine love. For me, the best way to tap into Divine love is to love myself. So much of our quests, searches, and desires really boils down to love of self. Pure and unconditional. Not as in "selfish." But as in making decisions for oneself with the highest good in mind. I am a child of God, a creation by the Divine, and what better place to find God than within myself and my interactions in nature. Through self-nurturing, we always have the capacity to be available for the Divine tapping. I also think that even the worst of all criminals possess Divine love. (I could get into this more, but not now...)

Perhaps on the earth plane some are "used to being loved poorly," etc, but it is always in our power to strip down to our essence, that pure light core, and find Divine love within. Externals are just externals.

I see myself as an onion. I start to peel a layer by fully experiencing the emotions, thoughts, and reactions to negativity and baggage (via weight gain, rejection, disapproval, etc), then finally after time releasing and letting go of those negative externals via body work, physical action, mental state shift. I continue to peel deeper layers as I examine my own feelings and thoughts about myself, as memories and thoughts about my past surface, I carefully work through and examine them. I process through the emotions, and then cathartically (by physical action or mental state shift) peel more layers... I get glimpses and oftentimes long gazes at that beautiful nirvana of Divine love through my authentic self!

Love is abundant. Relationships that appear to move away from love (on the physical plane) really move closer to Divine love. Just my opinion :)

But "limited?" With all the infinite scenarios and possibilities we experience in dream states, in visions, in all of the seemingly "coincidental" miracles that happen on the earth plane every day in life as we know it? All we need to do is look for the miracles, notice, appreciate, and feel the Divine love that surrounds us and is within us! Relationships that change and move away create space for Divine love to manifest in a new and different way that we've never experienced before. ~ I'll stop here. :) Much love to you!