Tuesday, July 19, 2011

wayfarer

I find myself yet again in a time of wandering and wondering. As long as I can remember, something has felt different within me. Something that prevents me from feeling like I'm part of whatever "we" is closeby. Something spurs me on to the next horizon. Something whispers, "not here, not yet". Even as a little girl I do not remember feeling safe or settled or just right.

This restlessness is planted deep within my soul. On better days, I trust our call (as Christians) is to constantly watch for Christ's presence. To keep one foot in the world, and one foot outside. But there are days when I get tired. I would like a people to call my own. I would like a place to call home.


A friend recently told me that, for the first time in her 30+ years, she wakes up each day perfectly content with who she is, where she is, and what she is doing.

That seems like such a wonderful possibility... But is that settling? Is that who we are called to be? Are we meant to find true peace in this reality, or are we doomed to anxiously await something more? (Check out C. S. Lewis's The Great Divorce if you haven't read it recently!)


My feet are tired. My bones are weary. My soul is yearning. Maranatha! Come, Lord Jesus!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Long have I felt the same, Meg. And long have others chided, judged, dismissed me for it. Call it what you will, I still believe. Keep on keeping on, friend.